Things to Do in Lakeland, FL
Nature and Scenery:
- Circle B Bar Reserve: Located in South Lakeland along Lake Hancock is the 1200+ acre nature reserve full of diverse animals, plants, and scenery. Circle B is nationally known for its incredible bird watching, including sightings of wading birds, waterfowl, osprey and bald eagle. Alligators are often sighted as well. Recreational activities include bicycling through the available trails and roads, birdwatching, fishing on Lake Hancock, hiking through the marsh landscape. Picnic facilities are available as well.
- Hollis Garden: “Hollis Garden is a botanical display garden set in a neo-classical architectural environment complete with patterned flower beds, public art, and ornamental fountains. Hollis Garden is a formal garden, a 1.2-acre site located within historic Lake Mirror Park. Here you will find over 10,000 flowers, ornamental shrubs, and native trees.”
- Teneroc Fish Management Area: Heavily surface-mined between 1950-1978, this area is now home to many lakes well known for largemouth bass and other diverse wildlife. Activities include fishing (shoreline or by boat), wildlife viewing, horseback riding, hiking and bicycling, shooting sports center, paddling, and picnicking.
Sights and Landmarks:
- Florida Southern College: Take a tour through Florida’s oldest private college campus while admiring works by the architectural legend, Frank Lloyd Wright. In 2012, the college was ranked by The Princeton Review as the most beautiful campus in the country. Tours are offered daily and can be scheduled through the Florida Southern website.
- Joker Marchant Stadium: Joker Marchant Stadium is home to the Minor League Baseball Lakeland Flying Tigers and hosts The Detroit Tigers during Spring Training. The complex is known as “Tiger Town” includes Publix Field at Joker Marchant Stadium, a three-story dormitory, administration building, cafeteria, recreation halls, practice fields, and indoor batting cages. Check out the Lakeland Flying Tigers’ website to see their most current schedule.
Fun and Entertainment:
- Silver Moon Drive-In: Serving as the only operating Drive-In in all of Polk County, the Silver Moon Drive-In is a popular attraction for locals and tourists alike. Located in West Lakeland off U.S. 92. The drive-in contains two show screens that play first-run double features every Friday and Saturday starting at 7:45.
- Escapology– Located in Downtown, is one of Lakeland’s hottest new attractions. You and seven other team members will be locked in a room and must work together to find clues, solve puzzles, and pick locks that free you from the game room within an hour.
Lakeland, Florida store
More about Lakeland, FL